We are delighted to offer a fantastic opportunity to join our crew in the Automotive Field! If you are a gifted and enthusiastic person with firm expertise in vehicle expertise, we encourage you to apply for this position. This is your opportunity to be a part of a dynamic and innovative team committed to excellence in the field of the automotive industry. Don’t miss out on this chance to move forward your career and be involved in an organization that appreciates creativity, imagination, and hard work. We look forward to reviewing your resume and finding out more about your expertise and experience in the vehicle field.
Job title: Program Director/Instructor, Automotive Technology, and Motorcycle Safety
Company: Durham Technical Community College
Job description: Position Information
Job Title Program Director/Instructor, Automotive Technology, and Motorcycle Safety
Department Automotive Systems Technology Program
Automotive Systems Technology Faculty and Program Specialist
The minimum requirements for the position are that the director/instructor holds a
minimum of an associate degree in Automotive Technology or a related field.
(1) Two years of current work experience as an on-line automotive mechanic
in an authorized or licensed comprehensive automotive service/repair center
and/or teaching automotive mechanics in an approved setting.
(2) ASE Certification in all aspects of automobile servicing or willing to complete
the certifications within 18 months of employment.
The director/instructor must have at least two years of relevant work experience and two
years of teaching/training experience and at least two years of experience in a supervisory role in industry, secondary, or post-secondary settings
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and effective oral and
written communication/public relations skills.
2. Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
3. Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
4. Ability to think creatively and put ideas into action.
5. Ability to make presentations to large audiences.
6. Excellent computer skills as evidenced by experience with data analysis/business
intelligence software products (such as Informer, and competence with Microsoft
Office products, including Excel and Word.
7. Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
8. Understanding the vision, mission, goals, and strategic priorities of a community
The Program Director/Instructor is responsible for the management, operation, and
supervision of the Automotive Technology Program; including the planning,
implementation, coordination, and evaluation of his/her program components, services,
personnel, and related activities functioning within the program area aligned with the
BEST Department’s strategic direction and the college’s strategic plan. Working
closely and in harmony with the program faculty, the Program Director/ Instructor promotes
and provides professional leadership and unit direction in all program affairs. As a
member of the Building, Engineering, and Skilled Trades Department’s program
management staff, the Program Director/Instructor also shares responsibility for
assisting and supporting the Dean in the operation of the department. More
specifically, and consistent with the terms and conditions of appointment as stipulated
in the contract of employment, the Program Director/ Instructor is accountable for
managing and supervising the following program operations and related duties.
1. Provides oversight for Automotive Systems Technology and Motorcycle Safety programs;
2. Supports employer engagement and community-based initiatives in all programs in Building, Engineering, and Skilled Trades;
3. Regularly examines program(s) and labor market data to achieve equitable outcomes in student’s Access, Completion, Graduation, and Transfer/job placement;
4. Regularly examines program enrollment and implements strategies to increase enrollment proportionally while growing FTE;
5. Identify, plan and schedule public classes to be held on the main campus and other Durham and Orange County campuses. Coordinate the class schedule with other site directors;
6. Supports or coordinates professional development activities for program faculty and staff aligned with the strategic direction of the Dean Building, Engineering, and Skilled Trades;
7. Explore funding opportunities and build capacity to expand programs for high demand high paying jobs in the region;
8. Develops, coordinates, and supports new initiatives;
9. Expand continuing education to curriculum options for equitable onramps to curriculum programs and offramps to living-wage work;
10. Initiate advertising and other promotional strategies for marketing public course offerings to the public and to business and industry;
11. Supports active recruitment of students from underserved communities by engaging with K-12, community-based organizations, workforce development boards in Durham and Orange County, etc.;
12. Work with business, industry, and government training staff(s) to develop courses when needed and;
13. Supports full integration of equipment and seamless pathways across Building, Engineering, and Skilled Trades programs.
1. Supports creation and management of all aspects of the hiring process to fill needed positions; Interview and hires qualified instructors that meet the credential requirements to teach the course subject matter and, when applicable, the licensing agency;
2. Provide candidates with an effective orientation and in-service training;
3. Prepare the program budget, monitor the status of expenditures, and maintain necessary records;
4. Coordinates with all publishing representatives for affordable course material adoptions;
5. Ensure proper registration, and recordkeeping procedures, and issue course credentials, if applicable;
6. Supervise the development of training programs and materials by instructors;
7. Maintain outlines and all evaluations of courses;
8. Facilitate communications between the directors/department chairs, instructors, and staff at Durham Tech for the course and program planning and;
9. Keep current and complete all ASE reviews and recertifications for the Automotive program.
Teaching and Learning:
1. Develop annual goals, objectives, and strategies for continuous improvement of the programs offered and maintain awareness of current continuing education and training trends;
2. Monitor the results of course evaluations and provide appropriate feedback to instructors;
3. Acquire suitable facilities for classes and support instruction with needed resources;
4. Oversees continuous improvement in instruction, creates new programming/services to support student achievement, and is responsive to student and faculty concerns/issues;
5. Supports distribution and reviews all course materials;
6. Monitors and coordinates the effective delivery of instruction within programs;
7. Supports Culturally Responsive Practices/Leadership/Pedagogy critical to advancing educational opportunities and outcomes for minoritized and marginalized students;
8. Oversee preparation of Automotive Systems Technology and Motorcycle Safety CU & CE course offerings and class schedule that meets the skill requirements of employers and the needs of students;
9. Supports innovative scheduling to build early momentum towards completion and credential attainment for all students, particularly Black, Indigenous, and other students of color;
10. Lead an active advisory board committee to inform curriculum and instructional technology, and increase WBL opportunities.
11. Maintain a teaching load as established by the college within the range of 9 to,12 contact hours per semester, given the position;
12. Maintain orderly and clean classroom and laboratory facilities, including storage rooms and assigned office;
13. Working knowledge of the business and industry communities within Durham and Orange counties;
14. Personal qualities and work style to indicate compatibility with a team approach;
15. Perform all other standard administrative requirements expected of and assigned to management staff, including committee assignments within and without the division, community and professional involvement, and other activities or functions;
16. Perform other appropriate duties to adequately support Continuing Education and Curriculum areas as assigned by the dean, vice president/CAO, and the president.
1. Represent the programs, the department, the division, or the college in institutional assignments, community affairs, recruiting events, and professional activities, and uphold such involvement among program members;
2. Provide support and assistance to the Student Engagement, Development,and Support Staff in conducting student recruitment and registration, determining admission requirements and procedures, the orientation of new students, job placement of graduates, tracking of graduates, and other related activities, and;
3. Assume other appropriate responsibilities and perform additional tasks as assigned by the dean, the vice president/CAO, and the President.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
· Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
· Ability to lift, at times, 65 lbs.
· Good eye/hand dexterity.
Required Working Hours A minimum of a 40-hour work week as determined with the supervisor to allow the employee to fulfill the assigned duties and responsibilities, including occasional evening and weekend hours.
Job Type Full Time Faculty
Hiring Range Commensurate with experience and educational attainment.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F457P
Open Date 07/22/2022
Close Date 06/30/2023
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Location: Orange County, NC – Durham, NC
Job date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 02:08:09 GMT
Apply for the job now!
Thanks for your consideration in our job position position. We believe that this is a stimulating opportunity for a skilled professional like you to take the next step in your career in the car industry. If you are a driven and customer-focused individual with an enthusiasm for automobiles, we encourage you to apply for this position. We are eagerly anticipating hearing from you soon and potentially welcoming you to our team.